Deacon's Memorial Cemetery, North Huron, Huron County, Ontario, Canada


OpenStreetMap

Latitude: 43.86839, Longitude: -81.40736
Deacon's Memorial Cemetery

Notes:
DEACON CEMETERY
There was once a small cemetery beside the little log church known as Reid's Appointment, which was built about 1864 on the southeast corner of Lot 35, Conc. 13. With the influx of settlers into the area, this tiny building proved to be too small, and a larger church, Brick Methodist, was erected on the northeast corner of Lot 33, Conc. 10. From that time on, this little cemetery was not used, and most people of the community were buried in the Deacon Cemetery on the side road north of the Brick Church on the line between the north and south halves of Lot 33, Conc. 11.

Deacon Cemetery was registered in 1878 to trustee William Deacon, John Beecroft, and Thomas Leaver. Henry Deacon received one dollar for the south part of the land, but no record remains of the price paid for the north half. The first burials are believed to have been for John R. James in 1860, aged 2 years; for Mrs. James Deacon in 1860 at 23 years; and for James Leaver in 1860, aged 38 years. The last burial was for Peter Leaver in 1939, aged 90.

Some Deacon tombstones were later moved to Wingham Cemetery, while others have been set up on a cement pad near the front of the cemetery. This site is also now maintained by the township.

(Courtesy Wilderness to Wawanosh)


Cemetery Photos

   Thumb   Description 
1
BEECROFT
BEECROFT
John Beecroft, Sr. - Find A Grave: 149299118 

Headstones

 Thumb Description Status Location Name (Died/Buried)
BEECROFT
BEECROFT
John Beecroft, Sr. 
Located    John Beecroft, Sr. (d. 10 Feb 1899)
 
GOLLEY
GOLLEY
Anne Jane Golley 
Not yet located    Ann Jane Golley (d. 1 Jul 1911)
 

All Burials

 #   Last Name, Given Name(s)   Buried   Person ID 
1. Campbell, John   d. 10 Nov 1934 Wingham, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location I297